Many people are jumping on the ‘healthy band wagon.’ For some it’s in an attempt to live a healthier lifestyle and for others it’s because they have children with allergies and strict dietary concerns. Regardless of the reason, parents have started to make a conscious effort when it comes to preparing snacks for their kids’ school lunches and celebrations. With that in mind, we have handpicked the most creative, delicious, and nutritious treats that your kids will love.
Check out our list below, and for corresponding recipes head to our Pinterest board.
- Fruit: fruit is a great snack/dessert choice for children. There are so many different options. Get creative by using a hollowed out watermelon as a bowl.
- Annie’s Homegrown Organic Cheddar Snack Mix and grapes in a ziplock bag closed in the middle with a clothespin to resemble butterfly.
- Popcorn: sometimes we forget how easy and healthy natural popcorn can be. Get creative and put popcorn on skewers with fruit or nuts (if your school allows).
- Mini marshmallows (or cheese bits) stuck between two apple slices to create a silly smile.
- No bake energy bites (oatmeal, nut-butter, honey, coconut) formed into balls to provide an extra kick of energy in the afternoon. Note: if there are any nut allergies in your child’s classroom you can replace with seed butter such as sunflower butter.
- If there are no nut allergies, these PB&J sushi rollups with fruit are adorable and delectable!
- Honeydew, raspberry popsicles for warmer days.
- Scooter snacks! This is a scooter made out of string cheese, veggies, and pretzels. This would be best if your child has a small class or if you and your child want to make something fun and delicious together.
- Frozen yogurt stuffed raspberries. A cool and delicious treat!
- Hard-boiled egg and cheese boat. Perfect for a mid-morning snack.
- Apple chips! Crispy apples with a small amount of oil and sugar.
- Banana pops: bananas, yogurt, granola, and a few chocolate chips (or raisins) on a stick!
- A super healthy cake batter pizza! Throw in a few colorful sprinkles and it will be a birthday celebration to remember!
- Healthy snack cones: ice-cream cones filled with Cheerios, raisins, popcorn, dried fruit, and any other healthy treat that will fit.
- Create a school of fish with pretzels, mini apricots, a little bit of cream cheese, and mini chocolate chips.
- Frozen yogurt dots. Make in tons of colors or throw in frozen chocolate chips. Arrange in ice-cream cones, zip lock bags, or an empty ice cream box.
- Oatmeal banana flax muffins.
- Sliced apples with do-it-yourself toppings such as nut butters, coconut, raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
- Delicious and healthy banana chocolate chip bread. Can be made gluten-free and vegan!
- Don’t underestimate the power of whole grain chips or crackers with some fresh salsa or homemade guacamole. The healthy fats in the avocado will definitely keep the kids full for a few good hours!
For carrying around these great snacks, we love these reusable snack bags from organize.com. They come in a variety of designs, are perfect for kid’s lunches and travel and are machine washable and reusable.
Shop now and get 20% off your order at checkout with code “DORM12.” You’ll also enjoy FREE 2-Day Shipping from ShopRunner.